About Me

I'm a newbie minimalist who loves art, design, fashion and shopping. On my blog I journal my efforts to break away from consumerism and into contentment while still being me.

Monday, October 7, 2013

My Story: Giving Up Shopping


I didn't think I had a problem.

In my early twenties I discovered fashion blogs. I began to spend a lot of time browsing fashion websites, interior design blogs, and then clothing retailers and furniture stores. Because my husband and I live on a tight budget, I was careful about what I purchased. However, I was always window shopping, planning the next thing I could buy, wishing I had more money, wondering how I could get more money, envying the nice clothes and pretty houses my friends had.

Out of a need for cheaper rent, last month my husband and I moved from a two-bedroom apartment to a single room. We are extremely limited as far as storage space goes, so no more shopping for me. No new clothes, new shoes, new books, new decorations. I blocked my favorite shopping websites from my web browser, and installed an app to block their advertisements.

I didn't think I had a shopping problem. But now that I can't shop, boy oh boy do I feel it. I had no idea how much I used shopping as an antidote to boredom and dullness. I had no idea how much I relied on it as something to look forward to when I felt down. Like an addict, I miss the very thing that made me unhappy.

I worry that I'm missing out on things I wanted.

I worry that I'll become frumpy and dated.

Basically, I worry that I'll become unattractive.

To fight these feelings, I am trying to keep myself busy with hobbies. I've picked up knitting again, and my sister-in-law gave me the yarn so I didn't even have to buy any! I am also looking for a good book to read.

It's going to take a while to get used to this. I hope that, like an addict, the craving for shopping and new things will decrease over time. I need to be strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all!